ZocdocAnswersWhat does it mean if I am dizzy after working out?

Question

What does it mean if I am dizzy after working out?

After I run for an hour on my workout machine, I am dizzy. My wife says that it is unhealthy, but is it?

Answer

That is an excellent question and one that is best answered by your primary care doctor or other medical care provider. Based upon the limited history provided, it is not possible to know your medical history, age, gender, or other associated comorbidities so it is not possible to know the exact cause of your symptoms and so this is why you should see your doctor as soon as possible about this. In general, there are several possibilities for why this could be happening which include the following. If you are young and otherwise healthy, it may be that you are dehydrated and this is causing you to feel dizzy after working out, as your body does not have adequate hydration to do heavy working out and this is your bodies way of telling you to be more hydrated. If you have other medical problems such as a heart condition, then dizziness is a serious sign that your brain is not receiving enough blood and this could be due to your heart not pumping properly or there are blockages of the arteries causing you to not receive enough blood to get to your brain. Regardless, you should see a doctor and be evaluated for this in a timely manner.