search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have found a lump on the top of both of my testicles. What could it be?"

ZocdocAnswersI have found a lump on the top of both of my testicles. What could it be?

Question

I am 16 and have found a lump on the top of either of my testacles slightly towards the centre what could this be do I need to worry

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. I encourage you to schedule an appointment with a primary care physician to further evaluate this issue. You will require a thorough history and physical exam. Depending on these findings, you may require referral to a urologist. Normally, testicles are oblong and can have an irregular contour as as normal variant, so this is a possible explanation of your findings. On the posterior of each testicle is the epididymis, which is a tubular structure that helps carry semen to the penis. This is often felt as a lump on the upper, posterior surface of both testicles and is often mistaken for an abnormal lump. This may also explain your findings. However, there is also concern for a testicular tumor, especially in young men. It would be unusual for this to be on both testicles, but it warrants further investigation. I encourage you to discuss these possibilities with your primary care doctor. A typical evaluation consists of a thorough history, physical exam, and testicular exam. Depending on these findings, you may require a testicular ultrasound. Other steps in the evaluation include blood testing and referral to a urologist. As mentioned, a tumor is an uncommon outcome of such an evaluation, but only an in-person evaluation by a physician can determine this for certain.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.