ZocdocAnswersHow long does erectile dysfunction last?

Question

How long does erectile dysfunction last?

I am only 34 don't have sex that much. but now i am married, we have been having sex everyday or everyday other day no issues at all, until all of the sudden, i couldn't hold an erection or i will partially erect before going in,the erection just vanishes in sec.I do no want to abuse viagra because i am afraid of the side effect. I took it twice with a week interval. i saw a doctor who prescribed lexomil and cupid 50mg. Cupid seems to work,but how often can i take it? can the ED cure itself?

Answer

That is a great question and one that is best answered by your primary care doctor or a doctor specializing in the urogenital system such as a urologist. In general, erectile dysfunction can sometimes be a short term issue that is very common in men for a short period of time. When this becomes a chronic issue, there is usually something more concerning underlying it such as vascular disease which is one of the first signs of erectile dysfunction or depression or anxiety. All of these issues need further medical work up and so it is very important that you are evaluated by your primary care doctor as soon as possible so that they can perform the appropriate workup and then diagnose what the issue is and what the correct treatment options are. All these issues can be treated or managed medically and so it is important that they are diagnosed and treated appropriately in a timely manner. With regards to the medications you have been prescribed, you may take them as they have been prescribed but these will only treat the symptoms you are having but will not treat the underlying issues which should be diagnosed and treated as soon as possible.