ZocdocAnswersCan I get Flu, Tdap and PPD shots at once?

Question

Can I get Flu, Tdap and PPD shots at once?

I have to take three vaccination shots for Flu, Tdap and PPD. Can I do them all in one day?

Answer

The short general answer to your question is yes, you can take all three of these the same day, though I recommend discussing your concern with your primary care physician. The flu shot and the tetanus and diphtheria shots are both in the arm or the butt depending on what you prefer. They do not interfere with each other, though you might be a little more sore if you get them in the same place. A PPD is not really a shot per se, it is a small injection under the skin of the arm that contains proteins that looks similar to the tuberculosis bacteria. The PPD is then checked 48 to 72 hours later to see if there is redness and swelling in the area. If there is, this could mean that you were exposed at one time to tuberculosis. If nothing happens and your skin appears normal after a couple of days, this means that you have never been exposed to tuberculosis. If the PPD does come back positive, most doctors will recommend that you take nine months of a antibiotic to eradicate any tuberculosis that may or may not be present. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician to discuss this issue further. Remember that if you're going to get the PPD, you need to return to your doctor in a couple of days so don't have it done on a Thursday.