ZocdocAnswersIs there anything I can get over the counter or from a vitamin shop to grow a beard?

Question

Is there anything I can get over the counter or from a vitamin shop to grow a beard?

25 only growing hair on chin and mustache area would like full beard

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your difficulty growing a beard. It is not possible to provide safe and accurate recommendations on any options without knowing the full details of your medical history and performing a physical exam. I encourage you to schedule an appointment with a primary care doctor to discuss this further. Facial hair patterns are determined by many factors, including genetics, hormone levels, and ethnic background. Abnormalities in testosterone production could cause abnormal development of sex organs and facial hair growth. It is also possible, albeit unlikely, that a thyroid disorder could be causing your inability to grow a beard. I encourage you to raise these possibilities with a primary care doctor. Vitamins and supplements are not regulated by the FDA in the same manner as prescription medications. Some supplements contain known toxins, and others have been removed from the market due to life-threatening side effects. Manufacturers are not provided to supply any data supporting their claims of efficacy. Therefore, there is not a safe vitamin supplement I can recommend for beard growth. I recommend you raise your concerns with a primary care doctor. After a thorough review of your medical history as well as a physical exam, they can make recommendations on the next appropriate step.