Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"My MRI revealed 7mm lytic lesion. What type of doctor do I need now?"

ZocdocAnswersMy MRI revealed 7mm lytic lesion. What type of doctor do I need now?


MRI was for breathing problems, done in emergency room. I do not have a primary care doctor. I do have insurance, but do not know what type of doctor to request an appointment with to rule out myeloma.


A lytic lesion such as the one that was found on your MRI must always be worked up to rule out malignancy. You mentioned multiple myeloma which is one possible cause of a lytic lesion. I would not jump to the conclusion that this is the cause or any other cancer for that matter until you have had a further workup. The further workup for lytic lesion might include a bone scan or maybe even a PET scan. If these studies fail to show anything, sometimes the lytic lesion might need biopsied. Sometimes physicians will order a CT scan of her whole body to see if there is any evidence of malignancy elsewhere. Finally, a bone marrow biopsy might be needed to look for hematological malignancies such as multiple myeloma. I suggest that you schedule appointment with a hematologist for further evaluation of this problem. I would suggest you do this right away that you do not want to delay the work up any further. You might want to consider bringing along both the MRI report and the images on a CD with you to your first appointment so that your workup is not delayed any further and you can get to the bottom of this problem. Good luck.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.