ZocdocAnswersMy father is having spasms in his neck, near the mouth, eye and head. What could it be?

Question

My father is having spasms in his neck, near the mouth, eye and head. What could it be?

Hello Doctor, My father is having frequent spasm in neck, near mouth, cheek, eye and head on right side of his face. He is 64 years old. Though he does not feel any pain, he is worried what is going wrong here. Something the spasm goes semi circular. i.e. 1) neck 2) mouth 3) eye and then 4) head. Can you please help us understand what causes this symptoms?

Answer

Thanks for your question, and I am sorry to hear about your father's new symptoms. There are many more questions that need to be answered to help provide meaningful answers to the questions that you have. So it is important to discuss your concern with your father's doctor. First, more information is needed about his health history. Sometimes, spasms such as you are describing can be associated with seizures or other actions that are driven from within the central nervous system. There are a number of conditions that can result in spasticity and other abnormal movements of certain muscle groups. These can sometimes be familial. Other times, the problem stems from a neurologic disorder of the peripheral nervous system. The treatment for either would be quite different. Also, it is important to know if he is having any symptoms related to his cognition, or his ability to think and reason. If so, this would add to concerns regarding a centralized complaint. These clues and others from his history can guide the next step, which would include a physical exam and then likely some testing. Findings on physical exam may suggest the need for imaging studies such as a CT or MRI. Unfortunately, all of these answers are dependent on more information. Again, please speak with your doctor.