Should I take malaria pills for a trip to South Africa?

I am going on a short, guided safari during a 10-day trip to South Africa in December. Do I need to take malaria pills before, during, and after my trip?
Without knowing exactly where you are traveling in Africa, it is not possible for me to tell whether or not you will need to take malaria prophylaxis. However, I can guide you as to exactly where you would need to go to find out this information. Whenever somebody presents to my office and says that they are traveling to a foreign country, in they are wondering whether or not they need to take medications to prevent a disease such as malaria, I go to the center for disease control's (CDC) website and search for the travel section. The CDC's website will contain a map of Africa and what areas are endemic for malaria. In addition, it will tell you whether or not that malaria is resistant to some of the more common medications that are prescribed. Once this is determined, then your doctor will know whether or not you need prophylaxis for your trip, and your doctor will know what medication to prescribe. This is the most comprehensive resource for this question. For this problem, I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician who probably has the most experience in providing people with medications prior to going on trips to foreign countries such as Africa.