ZocdocAnswersIs my chest pains serious?

Question

Is my chest pains serious?

so i have a question, i have BAV and i am having a hard time telling the difference between chest pain cause by the heart or the same pain cause by my anxiety, or the gym (lifting).. i had a echo done about 8 months ago and anything look great, and even then i thought i was goin to still have a heart attack, i have chest pains and tightness everyday when im at rest but moving and working i feel fine, i have not had the best diet which i am working on and recently went to the er with extreme tightness of the chest i was given a EKG and still looked fine, i work as a welder so maybe the smoke could be cause me these pains to?

Answer

Thank you for your question. Chest pain is one of the most difficult questions that doctors have to deal with in some instances. There are so many potential causes, and some of them can be quite serious. That is why it is important to speak with your doctor. As you have suggested in your question, sometimes there is very little that can help to differentiate between a heart attack and any of the other, less serious, causes. Fortunately, there are many tests that can be done to help doctors know if the chest pain is something serious. An EKG is one of the simplest and least expensive options available, as any heart damage will cause some changes to present in the rhythm of the heart beat, which will then manifest themselves on the strip of the EKG. More invasive options include echocardiograms and stress tests, among many other choices. While this testing can be valuable, there are also reasons to work with the same doctor over an extended period of time so that he or she can understand your full health history and what has been done and what those test results have shown so that tests don't have to be duplicated over and over. Please speak with your doctor about your symptoms and your question.