ZocdocAnswersIs it normal for me to pop my hip out of place?

Question

Is it normal for me to pop my hip out of place?

I'm 15 years old and I can pop my left hip bone out. If I do it a lot or try to lift my leg above my waist it hurts. It stays sore for about 2 weeks. I use a heating pad during the night when it hurts. My friends say when I walk, my hips go in instead of out. My right hip doesn't hurt but my left one does. Is this normal? I don't do any sports or hard workouts.

Answer

This is a good question to be answered by your primary care doctor or another medical professional who can perform a history and physical examination and see what is the cause of this hip issue popping out. Your doctor can evaluate you. It is possible that you have ligament weakness or injury that may be causing your hip to dislocate as it is doing. Sometimes this can be a normal finding that does not require any further treatments but rather symptomatic treatment whenever it pops out of place causing pain. Obesity can exacerbate this condition and so it is advised that you lose weight if you are obese or overweight as this may help decrease the chances of your hip popping out and you having pain from this. You may also consider physical therapy treatments as they have exercises and belts that can be used to help keep your hip in place and prevent the hip from popping out. They may also suggest steroid injections or other types of nonsurgical treatment options. The doctor may want you to get an x-ray of the hip to make sure that you do not have any other issues related to your hip, so it is important that you are evaluated soon.