ZocdocAnswersDo I have a yeast infection?

Question

Do I have a yeast infection?

i noticed a bit of itchyness on top of my vagina and sometimes before my peroid i get this somewhat slimy liquid thing that comes out but its a little less now but now my vagina iches. Im 14 and i didnt really take care of my vagina alot... but it dosnt smeel bad or any sores no pain just a little itch thats forming i need help to identify if its an infection :) thanks

Answer

It is fairly difficult to tell based on your description what this itching above your vagina could be. Certainly a yeast infection could be the cause, but a thorough examination will be needed to be sure. That is why it is important to see a physician. However, yeast infections typically also come with white, cottage cheese like discharge. It does not sound like you are having that type of discharge. Other causes of vaginal irritation include bacterial vaginosis which is an infection that is similar to yeast infection but caused by bacteria. Bacterial vaginosis contains some of the same symptoms as a yeast infection and sometimes it is difficult to tell the difference between the two without examining the vaginal discharge itself. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your pediatrician or primary care physician. He or she will want to examine the area to look for signs of a yeast infection or bacterial vaginosis such as irritated skin around the vagina. In addition, a pelvic exam may be needed to look at vaginal discharge and potentially obtain a sample for analysis under a microscope. In many cases, this is the only way to tell if you have a yeast infection or if it is some other type of infection. In any case a thorough examination is the only way for you to obtain a diagnosis.