ZocdocAnswersMy daughter is 4 and has had a pea size node in her neck for the past 2-3 years. What is it?

Question

My daughter is 4 and has had a pea size node in her neck for the past 2-3 years. What is it?

she is active and very healthy she eats good and plays alot she is just very tiny build

Answer

It is very hard to tell what this small little mass in her neck is from your description and I recommend that you speak with your daughter's pediatrician. However, it is quite reassuring that this small little mass has not changed over the past few years. Most scary things that show up as a small mass do not tend to stay the same over a long period of time. For example of this was lymphoma, then you would expect this mass to enlarge and for her to potentially develop more masses in many different parts of her body. You call this mass and node which I assume you refer to as a lymph node. This very well may be a lymph node but also very well may not be a lymph node. Lymph nodes that are that small are usually too soft to be felt. The only way to tell for sure is to have it examined by your daughter's pediatrician. If this mass appears to be suspicious, then her doctor may opt to have it examined by an ultrasound. If the ultrasound shows something unexpected, a biopsy might be needed. However, the vast majority of these small little masses that could be nothing at all can get left alone and they either go way, become unnoticeable over time, or just stay the same.