ZocdocAnswersUnprotected sex with ejaculation, am I at risk of contracting HIV?

Question

Unprotected sex with ejaculation, am I at risk of contracting HIV?

I had unprotected sex with a man whose HIV status I dont know. I had sex for 4 or 5 times. Everytime he ejaculated inside my vagina. Surely his semen came in contact with mucus membrane of my vagina. Am I at risk of HIV?? Is it enough to infect me??

Answer

Any time you have unprotected sex with a new partner, it is always a good idea to get tested for STDs shortly after. So I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. Certainly you are at risk for contracting an STD since you had unprotected sex with this man a few times. In the realm of STDs, your higher risk of contracting something like gonorrhea or chlamydia rather than HIV. However it is certainly possible. Your first step should be to find out if your partner knows his HIV status. If not, the two of you should probably consider both getting tested. If he is HIV-positive, that doesn't mean that you were definitely infected with HIV. A single act of unprotected vaginal sex runs you the risk of contracting HIV from an HIV-positive person about one in every 200 times. Thus, statistically if you were a betting person is not likely that you got HIV. Again, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The CDC says that everybody should be tested for each of the at least once in a life. Perhaps this is a good time for you. The test is simple and can give you peace of mind knowing the results. In addition, you can consider getting tested for other more common STDs such as gonorrhea or chlamydia.