search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Swollen, painful, numb, hands, and upper-back pain. I am heart patient. Could this be heart related?"

ZocdocAnswersSwollen, painful, numb, hands, and upper-back pain. I am heart patient. Could this be heart related?

Question

Could this be heart relater. I had bypass surgery

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. It is impossible to provide an accurate diagnosis without knowing the full details of your medical history, so I recommend your discuss this further with your primary care physician. Swollen, painful, and numb hands can be caused by many different conditions. Osteoarthritis (arthritis from repetitive use) as well as rheumatoid arthritis (autoimmune arthritis) can cause these symptoms. If you suffer from psoriasis, you can also develop psoriatic arthritis. Carpal tunnel syndrome is caused by compression of one of the nerves to your hands. This can lead to hand pain and numbness, although swelling is atypical. Given your cardiac history, it is possible your hand swelling is edema related to congestive heart failure. This is due to inadequate heart function leading to fluid backing up into your soft tissues. It is extremely uncommon for this to occur just in your hands, however. It is difficult to determine the cause of your back pain without more details. The most common cause is musculoskeletal injury. Given your multitude of symptoms, I strongly encourage you to see your primary care physician. You will need a thorough medical history, physical exam, and potentially blood work or x-rays to determine the cause of your symptoms.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances