ZocdocAnswersMy daughter is 9 years old and complains about having headaches a lot. What could it be?

Question

My daughter is 9 years old and complains about having headaches a lot. What could it be?

She does drink ice tea as I heard caffiene can trigger them

Answer

I recommend that you speak further with her doctor. Yes, caffeine can certainly be a headache trigger for some people, and too much caffeine should be avoided in young children. Many doctors argue that it should be avoided in adults as well! There are many potential causes of a headache in any person, but children should obviously be treated with some extra caution as it is not as common for children to complain of persistent headaches usually. When they do, it is good to remember that headaches can sometimes run in families. In other words, if you have a certain type of headache, it is possible that your daughter could have the same type of headache that you have. Cluster headaches, migraine headaches, tension headaches, and others all can happen to children as well. Just like with adults, persistent headaches should be discussed with a doctor to make sure that there is no more serious explanation for the problem. Sometimes, your doctor may feel that more testing is needed, which may include such things as blood work or imaging such as a MRI or CT scan. Your doctor may also feel that she should speak with a specialist such as a pediatric neurologist. Please speak with her doctor more.