ZocdocAnswersHow should I interpret this MRI report?

Question

How should I interpret this MRI report?

Findings There appears to be a healed Pfannenstial incision. The uterus is anteverted and anteflexed but 16 to 18 weeks' size. There are multiple myometrial lesions of heterogenously low T2/isointense T1 signal that show postcontrast enhancement. These enlarge and deform the uterus and distort the endometrial cavity. It goes on to say much more that can provided.

Answer

It is difficult to interpret your MRI report without seeing the full report and seeing the images, so I recommend that you go over this report with a physician. Generally speaking, the beginning of the report describes a previous incision in the uterus, likely due to a cesarian section (Pfannenstial incision). Then it describes the position of the uterus (how it is tilted in your pelvis), and notes that it is unusually large (the size a uterus would be if you were 16-18 weeks pregnant). The next part describes lesions in the muscle of the uterus, and in particular how much water the tissues contain and how they take up contrast. The last part again refers to the size of these lesions and that they are big enough to distort the shape of the uterine cavity. I am sure you are curious as to what these lesions represent - usually the bottom of the MRI report will have a summary of the findings and in particular the interpretation (will say something like 'Multiple myometrial lesions consistent with _____'). Most myometrial lesions are simply fibroids (leiomyomas), but it is possible to have malignant lesions (called leiomyosarcomas). I would recommend that you go over this report in person or over the phone with the physician who ordered the MRI for you, as they can better explain the significance of the findings and whether any further steps or management is necessary.