Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I suffered from severe vertigo and dizziness - should I see a doctor?"

ZocdocAnswersI suffered from severe vertigo and dizziness - should I see a doctor?


This is mostly just me being paranoid I think. I woke up the other night with absolutely severe vertigo and dizziness. No pain, but my ear would occasionally pop when I expelled pressure (burping, coughing.) I took some tylenol and took it easy. Figuring maybe I had an ear infection. But it's been slowly, gradually fading. It's more of a moderate annoyance at this stage. At no point did I have any pain, swelling, ear discharge etc. Is this just a run of the mill issue? I'm interested if I should see a doctor just in case, or what. I haven't got any reduced hearing or anything either.


This is a good question. It is very important that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor to have a full history and physical. Depending on what your doctor discovers during your appointment he or she may decide to order imaging such as a CT scan, or refer you to an ear, nose and throat doctor (ENT doctor). There are many causes for vertigo (the sensation of the room spinning around you) and dizziness. One of the most common causes of vertigo is BPPV, or benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. It is caused by loose debris in your semicircular canals in your inner ear which causes the sensation of vertigo, especially with changes in position. It can be effectively treated with a series of head movements that your doctor can show you. Other causes of vertigo include vestibular migraine (although usually associated with a headache), Meniere's disease (usually associated with ringing in the ears), and infections such as vestibular neuritis. Again, it is very important to seek medical care as soon as possible to get a correct diagnosis and appropriate treatment to relieve your symptoms. In the meantime, do not drive a car or do anything where a bout of vertigo could cause you to get hurt.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.