ZocdocAnswersFrenulum tear - what should I do?

Question

Frenulum tear - what should I do?

I'm 23 years old and a small part of the frenulum of my penis was torn during sexual intercourse. The bleeding stopped after I woke up but sometimes after urinating I feel like the tear becomes more sensitive. What do you think I should do? The tear was 2 days ago, and today I started taking Amoxicillin 875 mg, one pill a day to avoid urinary tract infections. Should I do something else? How long should I wait for it to heal?

Answer

Thank you for your question. As with any injury to the skin and superficial tissues, this sort of thing can serve as an entry for bacteria and other kinds of infection. For that reason, you should discuss this question with your doctor to determine if there is anything more that needs to be done. There are some bacteria in this region of your body that can cause serious infections, and so please maintain proper hygiene and keep the wound clean as appropriate while you wait to speak with your doctor.