ZocdocAnswersMy left big toe bend inwards but there is no bunion deform. What is wrong with me?

Question

My left big toe bend inwards but there is no bunion deform. What is wrong with me?

Just this week, my big toe on the left foot, has been bend toward my other toes. The gap between my first and second toe has closed a bit, Next to my toenail at the tip of my foot, there is a little red color, however there is no bone change that shows a formation of a bunion.

Answer

That is a great question and one that is best answered by your primary care doctor or a medical professional specializing in the care of foot disease such as a podiatrist or orthopedic surgeon. There are several possibilities for why your toe could be bending inwards but it is difficult to know with the limited information provided. For this reason, it is best that you are evaluated by a doctor who can perform a complete history and physical examination and decide upon the appropriate work up which may include imaging studies. Based upon what they find, he or she may want to do further diagnostic tests or decide upon some treatment options. Until you have seen your doctor, you can treat some of the symptoms you are having if you are having any (it is unclear from the information provided). If you are having pain from this, you can take advil as directed or apply ice to the area to decrease the pain. You can also try and pad the area to avoid additional pressure. Regardless, the best option is that you are seen by a doctor who can decide how to treat you and the symptoms you are having best.