Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"I had a leg injury. I don't know what it is and it doesn't seem to me severe enough to go to a doctor. What should I do about it?"

ZocdocAnswersI had a leg injury. I don't know what it is and it doesn't seem to me severe enough to go to a doctor. What should I do about it?


Okay so the other day i was playing basketball at the gym and after i made a shot i landed on my left foot awkwardly and felt a pop or a snap on my calf a little below my knee and i could and still can walk on it but with pain it hurts to walk or even to rest it on my other leg from the pressure the only strange thing is there is no bruises or any kind of inflammation plus it doesnt hurt when im innactive or resting i feel like its nothing serious due to the no bruising but the pop noise is what worries me any idea on what it is?


It's a little hard to tell from your description what part of your leg got hurt, so I recommend that you discuss this with your primary care doctor. If your knee is hurting and you heard a popping noise, you may well have torn your meniscus or your anterior cruciate ligament. These will often cause a lot of pain when you try to stand on the leg, and can cause a feeling of instability of the joint. If your calf rather than your knee is hurting, you most likely strained one of the muscles in the calf. Same goes for your ankle; you could have sprained any of the ligaments/tendons of the ankle, and if your symptoms are bad enough it could be that you tore one of these structures. The popping noise can suggest a more serious injury with tear rather than a sprain, however more than the popping noise, the degree of your symptoms is what matters: can you bear weight, do you have full range of motion of the joint, and is it getting slowly better with rest, ice and elevation. If your pain is not getting better, you feel that the joint is unstable, or you are unable to bear weight or resume your regular activities, you should go see your primary care doctor to have them examine the joint. They can assess whether it is likely that you tore anything, and at the very least can refer you to physical therapy if the pain is not improving.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.