ZocdocAnswersCan amoxicillin 875mg treat two infections at the same time?

Question

Can amoxicillin 875mg treat two infections at the same time?

I was prescribed the antibiotics for an abscess tooth but I also have a UTI that has not been diagnosed by a doctor but I have had them before I know what it feels like. I have taken AZO standard for two days and been drinking cranberry juice and water no pop or anything like that. I'm trying to avoid a doctor bill since I have no insurance.

Answer

The answer to your question depends mostly on what type of bacteria is causing your urinary tract infection if you do have one. So it is important to be evaluated by a primary care physician. I suspect that the antibiotic you're taking is called Augmentin. Augmentin is an antibody that contains amoxicillin but also contains another compound that helps amoxicillin work better. It is designed to attack and kill bacteria that live without oxygen. We call these bacteria anaerobic. It is possible that the Augmentin will treat whatever bacteria is causing urinary tract infection, but it is also possible that it won't treat it. We do not use Augmentin routinely for urinary tract infections because it does not does cover the bacteria that are down there. We tend to use other antibiotics such as Bactrim, ciprofloxacin, and Macrobid. The only way to be sure is for you to undergo urinalysis and urine culture at your doctor's office. A urine culture will be able to tell what bacteria it is and also tell what type of antibiotic is best for the bacteria. I suppose if you get better and no longer have any symptoms after the Augmentin is done then it's a moot a point, but I think that you should probably be checked out anyway. I think you could be seen by your primary care physician.