ZocdocAnswersIs it normal to have abdominal pain everyday?

Question

Is it normal to have abdominal pain everyday?

I had got the merina iud in april and ever since i got it ive been having real bad lower stomach pains i went to the emergency room & my ob gyn & they seen nothing wrong but my pains been getting wrist mostly feeling like contractions

Answer

Thank you for your question regarding abdominal pain. No, it is not common to have abdominal pain everyday. However, as you mentioned, the pain could certainly be traced to the fact that you recently had the Mirena IUD placed. Unfortunately, cramping and pain are very common side effects of IUDs and can be particularly at its worst in the first few cycles after insertion. Mild to moderate pain can usually be treated with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) at the onset of your menstrual period. It sounds as if you have visited your Ob/Gyn about this issue already, but if the pain is as severe as you have described and continues to persist, it is worth visiting your doctor again and discussing whether it would be advisable to remove the IUD. Your doctor will also want to make sure you are not having pain for other reasons. For example, the IUD may be coming out from the uterus (expulsion), placed incorrectly within the uterus, or there could be a small hole or tear in the uterus that occurred during insertion into the uterus. Infection or pregnancies are also potential causes for this pain. Please speak with your doctor about the best course of action for you.