ZocdocAnswersMy uncle had a stroke and it was found a large 7.5 x 5.0 cms hematoma in left basal ganglia. What is the chances of survival?

Question

My uncle had a stroke and it was found a large 7.5 x 5.0 cms hematoma in left basal ganglia. What is the chances of survival?

Hi my name is Venkata Giri, my uncle had stroke found 7.5 x 5.0 hematoma in the left basal gangila. He has been in coma for last 12 days. His blood pressure is controlled thru medication and always counting 150 / 100. What are the chances of survival?

Answer

This is a question that I'm sure that your family and your friends have been asking the doctors since your uncle had this terrible stroke, and I encourage you to continue discussing your concerns with his doctors. The truth is that doctors are very terrible at determining what a person's chances are of survival. In your uncle's case, this particular hematoma is of extremely large size. The fact that he has been a coma for 12 days does not speak well to an overall good prognosis. While it is hard to say for sure if he will survive, it would be surprising if he did not have significant disability and deficits in the event that he did survive. With the hematoma that size, there really isn't anything that can't be damaged. The left basal ganglia is an area of the brain that assists in controlling movement. The fact that he has been in a coma for the past two weeks also suggests that parts of the brain that are involved in consciousness are also affected. In order to improve survival, sometimes these hematomas are evacuated by a neurosurgeon. While your question does not indicate whether or not this was done, assuming that it wasn't, this must mean that the neurosurgeons felt that he would not survive this procedure. Please discuss your concerns with your uncle's doctors. You and your family have my condolences for this terrible event and I wish you the best outcome possible for your uncle.