ZocdocAnswersAt the age of 50 years my menstruation is irregular, heavy and uncomfortable. Is there something wrong with me?

Question

At the age of 50 years my menstruation is irregular, heavy and uncomfortable. Is there something wrong with me?

I recently had a sonar and was told that my womb is enlarge.

Answer

At the age of 50, you're likely approaching menopause and I recommend you see your your OB/GYN. During this time, your cycles can become quite erratic. Many report that their periods no longer come every 30 days and either become lighter or sometimes heavier. I think in your situation the first step is to check your gonadotropin levels. These levels rise significantly during menopause and might help tell your doctors whether you are nearing menopause or not. If these levels are quite high and you are still experiencing heavy bleeding, this would warrant a biopsy of the inside of your uterus. This is because any bleeding such as what you're having that occurs in the setting of menopause can always potentially be endometrial cancer. This does not sound like the case in you but it might need ruled out especially if you're gonatotropin levels are high. Another, possibly (the more likely possibility), is that this heavy bleeding is due to the presence of uterine fibroids. Fibroids are benign tumors in the uterus that can cause heavy bleeding during a woman's premenopausal years. If you have uterine fibroids and these are causing you trouble right now you don't necessarily have to do anything about them because they will go away and become inactive when you go through menopause anyway. This problem is definitely one that should be taken care of by your OB/GYN. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment soon.