Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Do I have depression or is it something else?"

ZocdocAnswersDo I have depression or is it something else?


Hello. Il explain exactly how I feel. For awhile now im always tired for no reason, I have weight loss even tho I eat the same I always have. My sex drive is like 0. I constantly have to pee and can barely hold it and not much comes out. The only time I feel like myself is when im mildly buzzed from drinking. Im a 26 year old male. Ive had anxiety issues in the past due to being in the military. But nowadays I have nothing to really stress me out. Any ideas?


This is a good question and one that is best answered by your primary care doctor or other medical professional. It is difficult to diagnose what is the exact cause of the symptoms you are having based upon the limited history you have provided, it would be prudent that you are evaluated by a medical provider in a short time span as this could be depression or it could be one of multiple other causes. Only your doctor can obtain a good history and physical examination and obtain tests to help diagnose your condition and decide upon the appropriate treatment options available. In general, there are several causes for the symptoms you are describing which would include depression as one of the main options. If that is what you are diagnosed with, your doctor may have you try a low dose of a medication to help with your mood and hopefully this would help you. There are also several other causes for these symptoms such as thyroid dysfunction (which can be diagnosed with a blood test and treated with a daily medication), other blood abnormalities, or other psychological conditions such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Only your doctor can diagnose the underlying cause of these symptoms.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.