ZocdocAnswersWhy has the hair on my legs stopped growing?

Question

Why has the hair on my legs stopped growing?

I am a healthy 24 year old woman and I am not pregnant. About two months ago, my leg hair appeared to stop growing. After I waxed two months ago, my hair began to grow as normal, but then it stopped. Now my legs have hair that is, at the maximum, 1 or 2 mm long, and it hasn't changed for the last two months. Some of the hair on my legs did grow as normal, but very little, What might cause this? I doubt it's a diet issue as I eat lots of fresh food. Any help or suggestions on where to look would be greatly appreciated

Answer

Thank you for this interesting question. In order to provide an accurate answer, a physician would need to review your entire medical history as well as perform a physical exam. Depending on these findings, you may need to undergo blood tests or a skin biopsy. Therefore, I recommend you schedule an appointment with a dermatologist. After collecting this information, the doctor can discuss potential causes and the best way to move forward. Hair growth is affected by many factors. Repeat waxing can certainly affect the density of subsequent hair growth. Many different hormones affect hair growth. For instance, thyroid disorders can affect how quick hair grows in addition to its appearance. Other disorders involving release of hormones from your hypothalamus or pituitary gland could also play a role. You may need to undergo testing of various hormone levels. Various skin conditions can affect hair growth, and a dermatologist would need to perform a thorough skin exam to evaluate for such a condition. Additionally, some disorders that affect blood flow to the legs can affect hair growth. For instance, people with peripheral vascular disease often exhibit hair loss on their legs. You will need to see a dermatologist to determine what may be causing your hair loss.