Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I am having pain in my lower left abdomen and muscle spasms in the lower right. What is wrong with me?"

ZocdocAnswersI am having pain in my lower left abdomen and muscle spasms in the lower right. What is wrong with me?


Question is could the pain in my lower left abdomen and the muscle spasms in the lower right be related? What things can cause these issues? I'm a 28 year old female, had a tubal ligation at the age of 20, concerned because the pain is not related to intercourse (husband was gone for 3 weeks) and I only seem to notice it if pressure is applied such as during intercourse and also by pushing there from the outside. Worried that although I'm not supposed to get pregnant I could be and it could be a tubal pregnancy...are these symptoms related to that?


Thank you for your question, and I am sorry to hear about the pain you are experiencing. In order to provide an accurate diagnosis, I would need more information. I would need to review your entire medical history and also perform a thorough physical exam, including a pelvic exam. I would also need to review any prior testing you have had, including the operative report from your prior surgery. You may also need to undergo further testing. Only after collecting this information would it be possible to provide an accurate diagnosis. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with a primary care doctor. Abdominal pain has many potential causes. Despite your tubal ligation, it is still possible you are pregnant. You could even have another ectopic pregnancy. Ovarian cysts can cause pain in this area, as well. Pelvic inflammatory disease can lead to inflammation of the cervix, causing pain during intercourse as well as at other times. Constipation is often a cause of pain in the lower abdominal quadrants. Appendicitis classically causes pain in the right lower abdominal quadrant. Other potential causes, include diverticulitis, irritable bowel syndrome, and inflammatory bowel disease. I strongly encourage you to discuss these possibilities with a primary care doctor.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.