Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What is wrong with my knee?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat is wrong with my knee?


I spun aroumd on 1 leg & my knee cap popped out. I went to the doctor they did an mri & xray they said it was just a dislocated knee cap. I have been on crutches for 2 months I think something else is wrong.


I am sorry to hear about your knee pain, and it sounds like you have been dealing with this for quite some time. In order to provide an accurate answer, a physician will need to fully review your medical records and perform a detailed physical exam. You may also need repeat imaging studies, such as another x-ray or MRI. After collecting this information, the doctor will be able to make recommendations regarding diagnosis and treatment. Therefore, I recommend you schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. There are many structures in the knee that can become injured. As you mentioned, patella, or knee cap, dislocation can cause pain. It is possible this has not fully healed and the muscles and tendons that help hold your kneecap in place have not fully recovered. You may also have suffered an injury to the meniscus, or piece of cartilage that cushions the joint. Damage to one of the knee's ligaments, such as the ACL, MCL, or PCL, can lead to knee pain. Additionally, there are multiple bursa, or fluid filled sacs that provide cushioning, in the joint, and inflammation of one of these can cause pain. I encourage you to raise these possibilities with an orthopedic surgeon.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.