ZocdocAnswersIn the last 2-3 days the lower back of my head hurts when I bend forward. Can it be a sinus infection?

Question

In the last 2-3 days the lower back of my head hurts when I bend forward. Can it be a sinus infection?

Even hurts when i laugh a little. Same spot. I checked my blood pressure tonight and the systolic Is 140. ( the headache isnt so bad) can it be a sinus infection? Yesterday the pain was on my forehead. Although i dont feel i caught a cold

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you have a headache that started in the front of your head yesterday, and has now progressed to the back of your head, especially when leaning your head forward, and that you are worried you may have a sinus infection. Let me start out by saying that there are many different causes for headache, and although it is within the realm of possibility that a headache could be caused from sinusitis, it is highly unlikely. We see lots of headache consults in our ENT clinic, and unless they have drainage from their sinuses, nasal obstruction, and focal tenderness over the infected sinus, it is almost never that the headache is caused by a sinus infection. In order to have a definitive answer, I recommend that you make an appointment with an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) physician to get evaluated. They will be able to take a history, examine you, look at your sinuses, and maybe even order an imaging study to further evaluate your sinuses. Judging by what little information I have to work with, it is more likely that there is some muscle tension leading to your headache. There are a number of muscles that insert on the back of your skull, and these can be hyperactive leading to soreness and headache. Please speak with an ENT, and I wish you all the best.