ZocdocAnswersAre these STD symptoms or some other viral infection?

Question

Are these STD symptoms or some other viral infection?

I'm a bi-curious guy, and have messed around with a few guys in the past 4 weeks for the first time in my life. I only received oral and kissed, but other than, that no bodily fluids were exchanged. Both guys confirmed they were tested negative and they seemed clean. Once, the tip of my penis was sore for about a day and a half. I think it was irritation more than anything. However, starting last night and today, I've had flu-like symptoms. I've had cold-like symptoms all of autumn as I've been under a lot of stress with a new job. So I might just be freaking out. But I have body aches, headache, feel like I have a light fever, and gassy stomach. Do you think I might have just caught a viral infection like the flu, or do these sound like some STI/STD? I know typically that HIV is not easily transferred when receiving oral sex... and the guys who gave me head were very clean, healthy, and seemed genuinely clean.

Answer

Sorry to hear about your concerns and your stress level. There is a level of trust that is necessary with sexual intimacy, and it can be hard to feel safe in new situations with new partners. Please practice safe sex and I recommend that you discuss your concern with your doctor. Unfortunately, there are many things that can have some of the same symptoms as sexually transmitted diseases, as many of the worst of them can all start with a viral prodrome (meaning that you feel run down, tired, have a low grade fever, runny nose, and swollen lymph nodes. There unfortunately are not too many distinguishing features between one virus and another in most cases. Bacteria tend to be a bit more unique and differentiated based off of what infection you may have acquired. Unfortunately, the only way to be completely sure is to discuss your symptoms with your doctor and determine if you need to be tested to make sure that you do not have any sexually transmitted diseases. Again, Please speak with your doctor about additional things that you can do to feel safe in these situations, and please remember to practice safe sex. Unfortunately, STD transmission rates are relatively high in some groups, so please be careful and speak with your doctor.