ZocdocAnswersWhat could cause my back and ribs to hurt?

Question

What could cause my back and ribs to hurt?

Ok, I have two knots showing in the center of my spine. One is larger than the other. They can cause me pain if I lean too far forward or sit slouched for a long period. Recently I was working out and the day after my ribs on the left side under the area of my heart have begun hurting. It causes me sharp pains when I lean forward, slouch, Bend certain ways, as well as if I am sitting and raise my arms. My back has been like this for around a month now.

Answer

That is an excellent question and one that is best answered by your primary care doctor or another medical care provider. It is difficult to know the exact cause of the symptoms you are having form the limited information provided as it is unclear your age, gender, or other medical comorbidities. For this reason, it is suggested that you are evaluated by your primary care doctor as he or she will be best able to obtain a history and physical examination and decide upon the appropriate work up and treatment options. There could be several causes for the knots that you are feeling in your back, such as muscle spasms. Are you overweight, or perform heavy lifting or other exercises without proper stretching beforehand? Have you had any trauma to your back or rib area, as this could lead to bone fractures which can cause some pain. Sometimes that pain can radiate to your back or ribs depending on where the initial trauma was and what types of symptoms you have now. Also, trauma to the chest can lead to injury of the lungs which can sometimes manifest as rib pain. Nevertheless, it is suggested that you are evaluated by your primary care doctor.