ZocdocAnswersCan temporomandibular joint pain syndrome cause jaw trembling?

Question

Can temporomandibular joint pain syndrome cause jaw trembling?

My jaw trembles when I lay on my stomach. I do have temporo mandibular joint pain syndrome and I thought they would be related (??). I lay on my stomach, place my cheek on the pillow, or on my hand and my jaw trembles very intensely. It bothers me a lot because all the trembling causes me pain on the jaw (which I already have sometimes)... What can it be? Is there a way to fix it or something? IS it because of my tmj?? Thank you!

Answer

Thank you for your question, and sorry to hear about your symptoms. There are a few possible explanations for jaw trembling, and it certainly could be related to your TMJ. I recommend that you speak with your doctor. Any sort of trembling of a body part implies that there is some sort of stimulation of nerve endings that innervate muscles. Just like the tremors that people can get in their hands, mouth, and other body parts, the tremors in your jaw can come when specific muscles are fatigued or have other issues. Fatigue is one of the more common reasons for muscles to tremble, and most of us have experienced the sensation of having exercised a specific muscle so much that it trembles. With TMJ, it is common for the joint and muscles of the jaw to be frequently stimulated, as with bruxism or teeth grinding. It is possible that the frequent stimulation of those muscles, the pain that this causes, and the effects it has on both nerves and the muscles is leading to some of the symptoms that you are experiencing. It is also possible that there could be some other reason for the symptoms you have noticed, and speaking with your doctor is appropriate. Again, please speak with your doctor.