ZocdocAnswersI need a double knee replacement, but i can't have because I have psoriasis infection - the leg may have to be amputated. Is there any other treatment?

Question

I need a double knee replacement, but i can't have because I have psoriasis infection - the leg may have to be amputated. Is there any other treatment?

is there any other treatment

Answer

Thank you for your question, and I am sorry to hear about your illness. In order to provide an accurate answer, I would need more information than is provided. I would need to review your entire medical history and also perform a thorough physical exam. I would also need to review prior imaging studies of your knees and also review the tests confirming your infection. Only after collecting this information would I be able to offer an opinion. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon to discuss your options. Knee replacements are often required in individuals with severe osteoarthritis of the knee joints. In advanced osteoarthritis, severe pain can limit ones functional capacity. Knee replacement surgery is a major operation with increased risk for infection and the development of lower extremity blood clots. Surgeons typically require an evaluation of your overall health to determine if you are a candidate for the surgery. If you have an overlying infection of the skin that would need to be incised for the surgery, implanting an artificial joint is increasingly risky because the prosthesis itself may become infected. I encourage you to discuss this further with an orthopedic surgeon.