Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Difficulty breathing and chest pains, what should I do?"

ZocdocAnswersDifficulty breathing and chest pains, what should I do?


I get really bad panic attacks and I suffered from a pretty bad one last night. I woke up this morning and it was still difficult for me to breathe and my chest was still really tight. This has lasted me all day and it's almost 7 in the evening. I also have asthma and I used my inhaler, which did help for a little bit, but then the problems came back. Is there anything I can do to relieve the discomfort? If this can help with the answer; I've been diagnosed with clinical depression, social anxiety and GAD, Avoidant and Borderline Personality Disorder, Cyclothymia, Panic Disorder, and ADHD. I take 20 mgs of Adderall and I used to take 20mgs of Prozac but it didn't help. 17 year old, Female.


It sounds like you have a difficult problem that will require investment on your part and on the part of your physician to make sure that you are in optimal health. Obviously, there are pains that can come from heart problems and lung problems that are severe and require treatment to make sure that you are well. Fortunately, these sorts of conditions are somewhat rare. That being said, it is still important to make sure that you do not overlook something serious because you don't think that it could happen to you. That is why it is important to work with your physician. If you have done your due diligence and been checked for all of those things, then it is important to work on the diagnosis that you already have. All of those disorders can be contributing to the sensations that you are feeling, and with a little help you may be able to adjust your medication regimen so that you can have some relief. In addition to medications, working with a therapist may be beneficial for your overall well being, as it is likely that there may be some techniques that you can use when you start to feel this way to help relieve you. Please speak with your doctor.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.