How likely is it to develop tolerance to my antidepressant Effexor?

How likely is it if im taking it for long term use?
In general, we do not think about the antidepressants as having the ability to cause tolerance like an opioid pain medication would. However, it is true that some people over time lose their responsiveness to certain antidepressants. So it is important to schedule an appointment with a psychiatrist. In these cases, patients will need to be tried on some other medication or the dose of their medication needs to be changed. For example, if you were to present to me on Effexor with a history of depression, I would first consider going up on the dose of your Effexor to see if that helped. If it did not, that I would probably consider adding another medication to your Effexor to see if that improved your symptoms. Finally, if neither of these worked, then I would transition you to a different antidepressant. There are many options, and Effexor is not even the most commonly one used. Again, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a psychiatrist who knows the most about prescribing and titrating antidepressants and what other options there are out there for you. You definitely don't want to remain depressed when there are so many other options out there to help you feel better. Good luck.

Other Psychiatrists