I have a VP Shunt and I was just wondering whether it would be safe for me to go on a sun bed?

as i dont know whether it could affect my shunt in anyway have never bin on one before but would like to know that it wouldnt be dangerous if i choose to go on one?
If you are concerned about the function of you ventriculoperitoneal shunt, I recommend that you see your neurosurgeon or other healthcare professional for formal evaluation. A VP shunt is fully isolated from the external environment and is tunneled in the subcutaneous tissue of the body, therefore is a well protected from the skin surface. Exposure to UV rays from a tanning bed is not a direct risk to the shunt, in the same way the actual sunlight exposure is also okay. However, tanning beds in and of themselves are increasingly found to be a dangerous risk factor for the development of melanoma, a deadly form of skin cancer. Even single exposures to tanning beds increase the risk of the development of skin cancer. Therefore, the use of tanning beds, unless for medical purposes as prescribed by a dermatologist or doctor, should be avoided. Tanning beds function by exposing the user to high concentrations of UV or ultraviolet light. This higher energy lighter causes local damage to the skin, which in turn leads to the increased production of melanin, the dark pigment that provides darkening of the skin. However, the UV rays also cause permanent DNA damage to the skin, which can lead to cancer later in life. Again, recommend that you see your neurosurgeon or other healthcare professional