ZocdocAnswersCould I have a STD?

Question

Could I have a STD?

I've tested negative for all of them but could I still have them in my throat or eyes if I had unprotected sex with the same person?

Answer

Yes, you could still have a sexually transmitted infection if you have been sexually active, with or without protection. So I recommend that you speak with your doctor about this question. There are many different kinds of sexually transmitted infections (STIs), and we are most familiar as a society with the most symptomatic of these, such as hepatitis c and HIV. There are many different types of infection that are more common than these well known infections, and some of these are so common as to be almost normal for most people. One common example of this sort of infection is the human papilloma virus (HPV). Most sexually active people will come into contact with this virus at some point in their life. There are many different strains, and some of these can cause cancer of the cervix and oropharynx years and even decades after exposure. These viruses have gained increased exposure over recent years, and have become the number one cause of tonsil and throat cancer in the United States. Protection helps to prevent their transmission, but is not perfect. There are bacterial infections that are also quite common, and can also cause long term consequences. Please practice safe sex habits, and please speak with your doctor about this question.