ZocdocAnswersI tested positive for C. diff., but I have no diarrhea. Do I need treatment for this?

Question

I tested positive for C. diff., but I have no diarrhea. Do I need treatment for this?

Hello I tested positive for c diff toxin b & atigen present. However no diaherra. My stools are between loose. Soft mushy. Sometimes kinda hard. & sometimes pile like moist chunky. Only symptoms have is bit cramps in lower right side. Temp of 99.8 off & on. Do I need treatment for this? Can it just show up as I'm a carrier? Not sure what to do. Doc wants me to do paisley tapper with vanco

Answer

I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your infectious disease physician. If you tested positive for C-diff, then most likely you have some sort of mild c-diff infection. You do have some of abdominal pain and a low-grade temperature which could indicate a slight smoldering infection. I think in this situation one thing you could do is have your doctor send off a C-diff PCR test. This is the most sensitive and specific test for C-diff and will confirm or deny that you have it. If this confirms infection then I think you should be treated. The first-line treatment for this infection is oral Flagyl 500 mg three times per day. Oral vancomycin is a second line treatment although it works just as well. The reason that we don't use vancomycin as a first-line treatment is that it is too expensive. Unless this was your second or third infection, your doctor might consider Flagyl instead. Again, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your infectious disease physician. He or she knows the ins and outs of the antibiotics for C-diff better than anyone else. Your condition can be followed in that way and if it recurs there are new or medications it can be used. The other important factor is to identify why you develop this infection. If you were on antibiotics recently your doctor should make note of which antibiotics were associated with this infection so that they might be avoided in the future if possible.