ZocdocAnswersWhat is wrong with my eye lid?

Question

What is wrong with my eye lid?

on thursday I noticed my left eyelid was lower than my right. What caused this and how can I heal or treat it? Im a 15 year old male who is turning 16 in about 10 days.

Answer

Thanks for your question. The first thing to know would be if there is more to your story, ie, have you had any other medical symptoms and do you have more of a medical history. So it is important to speak with your doctor. If the answer to both of these is no, then it may be just something to do with the position in which you slept last night, as edema can happen and swelling of some parts of the body can depend to some degree on gravity. On the other hand, there are many other potential explanations. There is a very small muscle above each eye that is activated by the sympathetic nervous system, and when it is deactivated, the eye can tend to droop. This is one of the most obvious signs of Horner's syndrome, which can happen for a number of reasons as well. If your problem with your eye persists, then it is important to discuss this with your doctor to determine if further intervention or testing is needed to help you return to full health and see if there is any more ominous cause to this symptom. You may choose to speak with your regular doctor, or to speak with an eye doctor, but please speak with your doctor.