Why am I experiencing pain in my tailbone?

I am a 27 year old female, and I have not knowingly injured my tailbone since I was 13 or 14 (landed on my skate in a skating rink incident), but besides the initial discomfort for the first several days, I have not really experienced trouble since then. Recently, I have noticed that my tailbone hurts after extended periods of time sitting at my office desk (cheap, poorly padded desk chair) or on any furniture in my living room (previous owners were a bit abusive to the furniture, and it's not very supportive now). Standing up for a while and then switching seats would be all that I needed to feel better - until recently. In the past couple of months, my tailbone pain has increased, so that it hurts more often, more severely, and under more circumstances. Now it hurts when I sit, when I stand up from sitting, when I walk. When I walk or lift things, it feels like something in my tailbone (tailbone area) is being pinched. I don't have numbness or tingling related to this pain.
Thank you for this interesting question. This is unique in that your problem had resolved, but some of the symptoms have returned so many years later. There are many possible answers and it is important to discuss your concern with your doctor. It could have nothing to do with your original injury, although the location and perhaps the quality of the pain indicate otherwise. It could have to do with other changes that may have happened in the interim (ie, pregnancy, weight gain, additional injuries, etc), that could have either caused new problems or unmasked the problems that your body had been able to cope with for all those years. The one thing that is relevant is the fact that you are suffering from unexplained pain that seems to be getting worse. There are many potential things that can be used to treat this problem, depending on what the source ends up being. Speaking with your doctor before this problem becomes worse is important. As you rightly mention, numbness or tingling would be more concerning potentially, as would loss of bowel or bladder control. Either would be a medical emergency. Please speak with your doctor about this question, and I hope that you are able to get and answer and also feel better.

Other Neurologists