ZocdocAnswersMy 4 year old son has grape like clusters of bumps in the back of his throat, what could it be?

Question

My 4 year old son has grape like clusters of bumps in the back of his throat, what could it be?

their pink bumps all togather his throat is swollen and sore

Answer

Sorry to hear that you four-year-old son has a sore throat and has something that you describe as a grape like cluster that has you worried. It is difficult to tell you exactly what is going on without being able to examine your child and take a thorough history, which is why I am going to recommend that you get evaluated by your primary care physician or an ENT (Ears Nose Throat) physician. Nonetheless I can give you some information, and my thoughts as to what might be going on. There are a few different possibilities as to what might be going on. As I am sure you are aware, there are tonsils in the back of your throat. The tonsils that most people are referring to are actually your palatine tonsils, but in reality there are a number of other different tonsils. There are lingual tonsils (on the back of your tongue) and adenoids (which are like tonsils in the back of your nose). Tonsillar tissue has lymphatic tissue in it (which is part of your immune system) and will swell up when you have an infection. My best guess is that your son has some swelling of his palatine tonsils, or lingual tonsils from an infection. The physician that you see should be able to do a strep test if they think he has tonsillitis to make sure he doesn't have a streptococcal infection. Best of luck.