Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have severe abdominal pain. What could it be?"

ZocdocAnswersI have severe abdominal pain. What could it be?


So probably like once a week a get this mild pain in my upper stomach and when I eat it becomes so bad, a constant severe feeling that only goes away if I lie down. I was just wondering what it mostly sounds like. I also become bloated and sweat.


Thank you for your question regarding abdominal pain. Abdominal pain is a very common complaint that doctors hear very often. It can be difficult to diagnose, because there are so many possible sources located within the abdomen. For this reason, I encourage you to visit your doctor who can perform a physical examination and evaluate the qualities and characteristics of the pain in greater detail. That being said, ulcers in the stomach (gastric ulcers) can be a common cause for pain in the upper middle region of the stomach. Gastric ulcers are known to cause increased discomfort particularly after eating or drinking, and improve during periods of fasting. People who take non steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs) chronically, such as Advil, Aleve, are particularly prone to developing these erosions in the inner lining of the stomach. A bacteria known as H. pylori can also be the cause of some stomach ulcers or can also cause inflammation of the stomach, gastritis. Gastric ulcers or gastritis can certainly present with symptoms such as bloating and abdominal pain in the form of a gnawing or burning sensation. Gastroesophageal reflux disorder (GERD) can also cause similar discomfort and pain such as heartburn, due to the reflux of acidic contents from the stomach up into the esophagus. Please visit your doctor who may want to perform tests such as an endoscopic procedure whereby a tube with camera looks at the lining of your esophagus, stomach, and first part of intestines.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.