How can I take care of the red skin after torn scab?

Hey guys so, 3 weeks ago I had a scab which loosened up and fell into pink skin. Every day I be been putting aloe verA on it, and right now it looks solid dark/ mid red and brown mix color. Can you please tell me what to do, should I continue putting aloe vera or should I put moisturizer on it, and I know it's not a scar cuz it's not white. Thank you
Thanks for your question, and I recommend discussing it with your doctor. Using a daily moisturizer is the perfect thing to do, as this will help the skin to heal in the best fashion and with the least long term problems. You are correct in realizing that this red skin is a sign of younger skin underneath that is growing and trying to regenerate the normal color of skin that you have everywhere else. While this younger skin is developing, try to take good care of it and protect it from the elements. Moisturizer can help, as the young skin is more prone to trauma and drying due to the absence of the thick layer of skin that normally helps to trap in moisture over the top of it. When you replace these elements, or at least help the body to keep its natural moisture in by using something such as an over the counter petroleum based skin care product, you help the body to heal more quickly. Additionally, sun exposure can be especially problematic during this time, and so you should avoid sun exposure and use sun protection if you do have to go out (such as sunscreen). Please also speak with your doctor about this question.

• Dr. Gurinder Brar
    Dr. Gurinder Brar MD
    2607 Windguard Circle
    Wesley Chapel, FL 33544
  • Dr. Rekha Singh
    Dr. Rekha Singh MD
    1300 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
    Suwanee, GA 30024
  • Dr. Richard Ashby
    Dr. Richard Ashby MD
    8330 Richmond Highway
    Alexandria, VA 22309