What does my "Liver Function Test Report" mean?

hi, i have done my Liver function test. below is my report. could you please tell me what is happening to my liver. and what should i do to make my liver normal so that my SGTP report comes within the limits. PS: i have never drink alcohol. i have not sugar problem, no thyroid problem. in brackets showing normal reference values as given by the Lab. Liver Function Test Total Bilirubin 1.9mg/dL (0.1 - 1.2) Conjugated Bilirubin 0.5mg/dL (0 - 0.4) Unconjugated Bilirubin 1.4mg/dL (0.1 - 1.0) SGOT/AST 42U/L (0 - 40) SGPT/ALT 94U/L (0 - 42) Alkaline phosphatase 96U/L (53-128) GGTP 64U/L (11 - 50) Total Protein 7.6gm/dL (6 - 8.3) ALBUMIN 4.3gm/dL (3.2 - 5.0) GLOBULIN 3.3gm/dL (2.0 - 4.0) A/G Ratio 1.3 (1.3 - 2.5)
You ask some very good questions, and it sounds like you must have had a conversation with a physician recently that led to these liver function tests being ordered. Whenever you have questions about lab results or your overall health, the best place to start is with your physician (or the physician who ordered the tests). He or she will know your health history and can talk to you about any current symptoms. These pieces of the medical history, in addition to a physical exam, are always an important part of interpreting laboratory tests. From the lab values you report, it seems that you have mild elevations in two enzymes that can be released by the liver (ALT and AST), as well as a mild elevation in bilirubin which is a product metabolized by the liver during the breakdown of hemoglobin throughout the body. It is important to note that your ALT/AST elevations are quite mild, and there any many things which can cause this, including systemic illness, alcohol, and medications (including dietary supplements). Your bilirubin elevation is likewise relatively mild, but it will be important for your physician to discuss your health history with you in more detail. Sometimes mild elevations such as this can be associated with a genetic syndrome, but it will be important to ensure that you are not having any additional symptoms. Overall, the best place for you to start is with the physician who ordered these labs, and if you have any additional questions you can also see your primary care physician.

• Dr. Howard Shapiro
    Dr. Howard Shapiro DO
    14 E 60th St
    New York, NY 10022
  • Dr. Norman Smith
    Dr. Norman Smith MD, FACP
    2905 Mitchellville Rd
    Bowie, MD 20716
  • Dr. Mark Siegel
    Dr. Mark Siegel DO
    1530 W. Glendale Ave
    Phoenix, AZ 85021