Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"I have a bump on my face that use to be a cyst and now it is numb. What could it be?"

ZocdocAnswersI have a bump on my face that use to be a cyst and now it is numb. What could it be?


I have a bump on my face, I have had it since January of this year, it is dark in color and is numb. It will not go away, I have put medications on it, pierced it with a pin. It sometimes swells up and other days it flattens but it is always apparent. What is it??? It is numb to the touch and when I pierced it I did not feel anything but it bled a little. I just want to get rid of it because it is on my face and very annoying! Thanks.


I am sorry to hear that you have a dark colored lesion on your face that is numb and that you are worried about what might be going on. It sounds like it has been present for a while and waxes and wanes in terms of size from the information that you have given me. I am happy to give you some of my thoughts about what might be going on, but ultimately I am going to recommend that you make an appointment with a dermatologist, or an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) physician to get evaluated. They will be able to examine the lesion (and any other spots on you that may be worrisome) and take more of a medical history, which is ultimately what you need for a fast and accurate diagnosis. Also, both of those specialists will be able to recommend treatment options, or biopsy the lesion if needed. I am not sure what your skin color is, but in general, I would recommend that any pigmented skin lesion that changes over time should get evaluated by a physician and potentially biopsied. This is because there are sinister skin lesions (such as melanoma) that can present that way. There are also many benign lesions that may present that way, but that is why it is worth getting checked out by someone who knows what they are doing. Best of luck.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.