ZocdocAnswersCan Trichomoniasis be spread any other way besides having sex?

Question

Can Trichomoniasis be spread any other way besides having sex?

I haven't been with anyone other than my boyfriend in about 8 years. He also is adamant that he has not been with anyone else either. I was recently diagnosed with Trichomonasis and I have no clue how or why this is happening. I have not cheated but now my relationship is basically over because of this. I just want to know if there is any way possible there could be another explanation for this? My last pap was in April and it was not detected and because my bf and I are in a long distance relationship we haven't had sex since July. Could I have had this for 8 years and not have known? Is it possible that this is from sex toys, a vertical hood piercing I got a year ago, I read somewhere that smoking marijuana,or something else. Please help, if we are both innocent I don't want to lose my relationship but I'm positive I didn't do this and I believe he didn't either but it had to come from somewhere.

Answer

Sorry to hear about your problem, and I recommend that you discuss your concern with your doctor. The most common method of spreading and obtaining a sexually transmitted disease is via sexual contact. A consistent relationship with a single person is one of the most effective methods of preventing the spread of STDs, but does rely on each partner not engaging in sexual contact with others. If you have been tested previously and have not had a sexually transmitted disease, then the most likely explanation is that you have had sexual contact with someone who has the sexually transmitted disease. Any spread of body fluids can potentially spread this sort of disease, and so toys and other things that have come into contact with infected fluids can theoretically also transmit diseases. Piercing and other procedures that are completed in this area may offer some theoretical risk as well, with the risk being elevated depending on the sterilization procedures followed by whoever performed the piercing. While there are many different possibilities, however, it is apparent that most of these are theoretical, meaning that while they are possible, they are much less likely to be the cause of you having recently contracted this STD if you have never had it before. Your doctor will be able to help, so please discuss this with your doctor.