ZocdocAnswersMy left breast has been sore for the past 2 days or so, what could this be?

Question

My left breast has been sore for the past 2 days or so, what could this be?

it is sometimes worse than other times. what could this be an indication of

Answer

Breast soreness can be a sign of a few different medical problems, so it's important to see your primary care doctor. First, it can be a sign of a hormonal change in your body. Many women report a change in the way their breasts feel at different times in their menstrual cycle. This is due to the varying amounts of estrogen in the woman's body during this time. Pregnancy is another factor that alters the amount of estrogen and estrogen-like hormones in the body. However, all of the above causes of breast soreness usually affects both breasts not just one. When one breast is affected, then there is always the possibility that this is an infection such as a breast abscess. If you are having a fever along with the soreness then this possibility is even more likely. If you are breast feeding a baby right now, a breast abscess is more likely because a clogged mild duct is a common cause of these infections. Finally, breast cancer can present as unilateral (one sided) breast soreness. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The two of you can discuss your symptoms and you can get a much needed breast exam to help determine what is causing this soreness. Good luck.