Why does my knee hurt when it's cold or when I sit?

I'm 23 years old (female) I played softball for like 10 years or longer. I never had a major injury or anything during the time a played. But now a days my knee hurts very, very often. When I walk through stairs, when I spend too much time sitting in a chair or when it's cold my knee starts hurting quite a bit. I don't even know how to describe the pain (but it's not a stabbing kind of pain). Also when I bend my knee it makes a loud popping sound.
I am sorry to hear you are having this knee pain which must be frustrating for you. I encourage you to visit your doctor who can perform a thorough physical examination and ask you more detailed questions regarding your medical history. He or she may also want to perform additional testing, such as imaging. That being said, your symptoms may be suggestive of patellofemoral syndrome. This is a condition which affects the patella, or knee cap, and causes pain in the front of the knee. It is commonly seen in runners or people who put a lot of pressure on their knees. But it can also happen when a certain maneuver causes a person's knee cap to get out of line with the knee joint. People with this syndrome can have pain particularly after activities such as sitting for a long time (like after watching a movie) or when going up stairs. Treatment for this condition involves managing the pain with rest, avoiding activities and movements that worsen the pain, taking non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, and putting ice on the knees after activities that cause the pain. Your doctor might also recommend exercises that strengthen the muscles around the knees, such as the quadriceps. You may also want to wear a knee brace to provide extra support to the area. Please talk with your doctor about what could be the source of your knee pain.

Other Physical Therapists