ZocdocAnswersWhy I developed oral thrush?

Question

Why I developed oral thrush?

I was diagnosed a few days ago with oral thrush, and since then I've been voraciously reading about it. I'm very healthy, take no medications, and have none of the risk factors associated with greater chances of getting thrush. I'm concerned that there may be a serious underlying health issue, but I feel great apart from the thrush discomfort. Should I see a specialist to look into this? Is it occasionally normal for an otherwise healthy person to acquire oral candidiasis? (Some more background: I'm 35, non-smoker, never even had a cavity, active runner, no risk factors for any disease.) Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Answer

Sorry to hear about your thrush. I recommend that you speak with your doctor about this question. This is quite interesting, as you are aware, because thrush is not common in those with a normal immune system. It can be more common in those who have a compromised immune system, even just those with local compromise, as with those who use inhaled steroids for asthma and thereby have steroids on their tongue and in their mouths. That's why these people are reminded to rinse out their mouth after each use of their inhaler. In your case, however, that does not seem to be the case and so we are left looking for other causes. Given your overall well being, there may definitely be some value in speaking with a specialist to make sure that you are well in every way and are not hiding some other disease or disorder that made you more prone to this other condition. Please speak with your doctor and determine what, if any, testing is needed to help you feel more comfortable about your overall health. Also, he or she can help to treat you to get over the thrush and feel better.