ZocdocAnswersWhy is my breast milk burning my skin?

Question

Why is my breast milk burning my skin?

I had an abortion a week ago and today I started lactating. But it is buring the skin it touches on my breast

Answer

Sorry to hear about your problem. I recommend that you speak with your primary care doctor or OB/GYN. Milk itself should not cause sensitivity of the skin that it touches, and so it suggests that there may be some other problem. This problem could originate with the skin that is being touched by the milk. For example, very dry or cracked or otherwise traumatized skin can be sensitive to any moisture with which it comes in contact. Often, as the female body prepares to give birth, the skin surrounding the breast will undergo significant changes that can lead to some local trauma, and so this is certainly one possibility. Less likely, different things that a woman eats can be concentrated in the milk and can potentially lead to some sensitivity. This would seem to be less likely, however. Speaking with your doctor can help, as he or she will be able to ask more questions and complete a physical exam to understand better what the most likely explanation is. He or she may suggest different ointments that can be used for lactating women and may help to provide some relief from your symptoms, or may suggest further intervention. Again, please speak with your primary care doctor or OB/GYN about this question.